In the business of production we are constantly multi tasking and juggling many projects at one time. Sometimes these projects bring us to different parts of the globe and force us to leave our home base in order to make the projects all they can be.
Working in New Jersey is great as we have access to amazing crews and talent. What we don’t always have access to is great weather, for example. Therefore we are sometimes forced to think outside the box on what location can help us achieve our visual goal. Traveling for work can be great but it is also time consuming and sometimes affects our personal lives. Its important to have a good balance and look ahead at projects to make sure we can keep up with regular work and life and still complete our projects with flying colors and with as little stress as possible.
Since rejoining the Concepts team in January I have already racked up a ton of airline miles traveling to shoots and networking events from California all the way to our latest project in India! It’s just business as usual here at Concepts. Being a seasoned traveler myself I am at ease on the road and embrace each new experience in its own way. It’s always nice though to return home and put things in perspective until the next trip. These days there hasn’t been a whole lot of time at home to reflect but Im trying although finding that balance has been a challenge.
Here are 5 things that can help achieve that balance:
1. Healthy diet – An important key to maintaining balance is maintaining a healthy diet on the road. The road sometimes can be a place where anything goes diet wise but it is important to try to stick with good foods rich in nutrition and drink lots of water.
2. Exercise – Before going anywhere seek out if your hotel has a gym or a jogging route that can be followed. Then allow yourself time to get there before meetings or in the evening before client dinners.
3. Calendars – Keeping a calendar can help you remember important things such as birthdays and events of family and friends. Its easy to overlook these things when you are in a different city or country each week.
4. Vitamins – Remembering to take vitamins daily is another good routine that will not only help you maintain your health on the road but it can also remind you how many days you have left at your current location. I like to bring just the right amount of vitamins with me where ever I go. As the vitamins dwindle down I know my trip will soon be coming to an end.
5. Sleep – Getting at least 7-8 hours a sleep a night is one of the most important things you can do for your body to achieve balance. Our bodies and minds need rest and when we are traveling we need to still allow ourselves time for proper rest even if it some of the sleep happens to be on airplanes! Bring your favorite travel pillow and a sleep mask along with headphones and some music or podcasts. I find I can block out the elements on an airplane with these items.
These are just a few things that can help achieve balance for the traveling employee…we must constantly remind ourselves of them!
REMINDER: Flight 1765 now ready for boarding……..Uh oh that’s my cue…gotta go!
http://conceptstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/logo.png00Webmasterhttp://conceptstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/logo.pngWebmaster2016-03-21 18:00:572016-03-21 18:00:57Balancing Work and Travel Life
With over 30+ years of experience and an extensive network of DR industry experts, Concepts TV is your one stop creative Direct Response shop. Let us transform your product into a Direct Response legend.